Why should I join, and how can I get involved?
There are many women’s geoscience groups in existence today. They have formed grassroots organizations within universities, companies, business sectors, societies, cities, and online communities. These groups exist not only to connect women within geoscience networks but also to have a visible seat at the table and speak with a collective voice about issues relevant to their members. It is that collective voice that advocates for you in your current or future profession. A voice that because of your membership is heard and influences policy.
Join online today by clicking on the "Become a member" button in the upper right-hand corner of your screen. Otherwise, request a form from firstname.lastname@example.org.
AWG has multiple avenues to CONNECT YOU to its diverse membership!
- AWG Chapters - Form an AWG Chapter or CONNECT an existing geoscience group to AWG and network with women in geoscience in your geographic area, technical specialty, or organization.
- The AWG Distinguished Lecturer Series - Invite an AWG lecturer to present a technical or leadership talk to your AWG Chapter or AWG affiliated group and CONNECT through geoscience or leadership.
- AWG at National Meetings - CONNECT in person at AWG mentor and networking events or the AWG Booth at AAPG, AGU, GSA, and SEG. AWG hosts networking receptions at the major geological conventions every year!
- AWG Scholarships and Awards – Nominate yourself or a deserving colleague for one of our prestigious AWG awards, or CONNECT with our talented pool of volunteers who sit on the award committees.
- AWG Teleconferences and Webinars – Watch for announcements on upcoming opportunities to dial in to CONNECT and hear about what AWG is actively working on for its members.
- Social Media – Join the “Association for Women Geoscientists” on Facebook and Linked-In, and follow @AWG_org on Twitter to CONNECT online.
- E-mail - Send in your questions, comments, or observations to MentorMoment@AWG.org. We will address your input through Mentor Moment postings and a column in GAEA to CONNECT issues of importance to you with AWG’s membership.
- Mentoring365 - AWG sponsors Mentoring365 a program to encourage personal and professional relationships with others that can help with your career.
It is not just “what” professional organizations offer, the real question is, “How will you use what is offered to enhance your success?” It is when you avail yourself to, and participate in, a professional society that you can enhance your career. So, if you have not yet joined or renewed your AWG dues, go online and do so now! Then get involved with your local AWG Chapter or start a new Chapter and invite an AWG Distinguished Lecturer or AWG Officer to speak. The next convention you attend stop by the AWG booth or better yet volunteer to work at the AWG booth. Finally, for the betterment of the geoscience profession, identify issues that are important to you as a woman in geoscience, get connected with AWG, and let us help you get your voice heard.
Types of Membership
- Free subscription to AWG’s quarterly newsletter–Gaea
- A monthly E-mail News
- Access to AWG’s membership directory
- Access to networking, mentoring, leadership, and education and outreach opportunities
- Discounts to some AWG events
- Recognition of your membership at our professional meetings or exhibits, and in AWG’s publications, to showcase your support of women geoscientists
- An electronic subscription to Gaea, the Association's quarterly newsletter, bi-monthly E-mail News, and any available chapter newsletters with chapter affiliation
- Access to the Association's membership directory
- A free 1/4 page ad in Gaea, and 10% off future ads in Gaea and E-mail News
- Recognition of your corporate membership on the AWG website, at AWG’s professional meetings or exhibits, and in AWG publications, to showcase your support
- Corporate logo and active web link on the AWG home page
- An electronic subscription to Gaea, the Association's quarterly newsletter, the bi-weekly E-mail News, and any available chapter newsletters with chapter affiliation
- Free access to the Association's membership directory
- Advertising rates are 20% lower than standard rates