APPLICATION OPEN FOR 2021-2022 DISTINGUISHED POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWS, THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AUSTIN
The Jackson School of Geosciences at The University of Texas at Austin is seeking applicants for its 2021-2022 school-wide Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellows Program. We seek to hire creative and enterprising postdoctoral scholars who will conduct independent research on topics that advance our understanding of Earth as a system while engaging with researchers and faculty across the Jackson School. We welcome applicants with research interests across geosciences disciplines, but we are particularly interested in applicants who want to work at the interfaces between disciplines.
Topics of collaborative study could include, but are not limited to:
- Polar-to-equatorial coastal processes and sea-level change;
- Energy systems, including transitional sources, alternative energy, and infrastructure (e.g., geothermal systems, gas hydrates, hydrogen energy, carbon capture and storage, energy and environmental economics);
- Subduction zone geodynamics;
- Climate change and water-energy security;
- Computational fluid- and solid-Earth geophysics, including machine learning;
- Natural hazard modeling and monitoring;
- Planetary evolution and habitability.
The appointment is for two years with a salary of $60,000 per year, plus health care and other benefits. Research support of $10,000 per year is also provided. The start date is flexible and can be as early as February 1, 2022. Applicants must complete a Ph.D. before starting, but be no more than three years past their doctoral degree date.
An application package should include:
The application deadline for this round of funding is November 7, 2021.
- a document outlining past achievements and general research interests (one page)
- a brief research proposal, including a short section describing how the research may leverage and magnify research being conducted at the Jackson School, ideally with more than one research group at the Jackson School (one page)
- a current CV that includes education and employment history, publications, and awards
- a list of names and contact information for three potential references
Applicants should send applications electronically (in PDF form) as an email attachment to PostDocJSG@jsg.utexas.edu
Applicants are welcome to reach out to research groups across the Jackson School to discuss potential areas of research interest. Please note that the Jackson School has many postdoctoral fellows in addition to the Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellows. To apply for other postdoctoral opportunities, applicants are encouraged to make direct contact with Jackson School scientists they are interested in working with.
Equal Opportunity Employer: The University of Texas at Austin, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
Location: Austin, TX
Start Date: February 1, 2022 (Flexible)
Job Type: Other
You Must Have: