TENURE TRACK ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF GEOLOGY-SEARCH #67893, GEORGIA SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY
The Department of Geology and Geography in the College of Science and Mathematics invites applications and nominations for the tenure-track position of Assistant Professor of Geology.
Founded in 1906, Georgia Southern University is a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution with a focus on public-impact research, serving about 27,000 students on three beautiful campuses in Statesboro, Savannah, and Hinesville, and via a growing online program. Through our degree offerings at the associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels, Georgia Southern offers a distinctive combination of community collaboration, world-class scholarship, innovative teaching, and hands-on learning opportunities.
To equitably serve a fast growing and highly diverse student body and to fulfill the University’s commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion, we actively seek candidates with a demonstrated commitment to Inclusive Excellence. Candidates whose work furthers the institution’s goals and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
Within this setting, the Department of Geology & Geography is actively engaged in undergraduate education, service, and regional, national, and international research. A core mission of the Department of Geology & Geography is to advance research that involves undergraduate students, and to this end the individual hired to fill the advertised position will be expected to contribute to the undergraduate teaching and research missions of the Department. The Department currently offers baccalaureate degrees in Geology and in Geography, in addition to a Master of Science degree in Applied Geography.
Reporting to the Department Chair, the Assistant Professor of Geology requires a combination of teaching, research, and service as well as a terminal degree. The position is a 10-month tenure-track appointment, and the salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Earned PhD in Geology by August 1, 2022
- Demonstrated knowledge in structural geology
- High degree of competence in field methods
- Ability to teach upper-level courses in structural geology and field methods as well as introductory geology courses at the undergraduate level
- Willingness to engage with institutional student success initiatives
- Commitment to engaging with best practice initiatives in instruction and pedagogy, mentoring, and curriculum design and development
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing a strong and growing research and scholarship agenda and the production of research/creative activities as appropriate to the discipline
Conditions of Employment
- Demonstrated geological mapping skills
- Proficiency with GIS or other geospatial techniques
- Field experience in multiple settings
- Demonstrated knowledge of tectonics and/or neotectonics
- Willingness and ability to lead field-based courses
- Experience in geology of the Appalachians
- Must be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the institution
- All work for Georgia Southern University must be completed while the employee is physically present in the state of Georgia, unless specifically authorized by the university for a specific purpose and limited period of time within current policy
- Faculty are expected to contribute to the vibrant university community by engaging students, participating in events, and performing other responsibilities on campus
- Faculty may be required to teach, conduct research, or perform service duties on any of the three campuses. Georgia Southern provides accessible transportation options between campuses.
Screening of applications begins November 29, 2021 and continues until the position is filled. The preferred position starting date is August 1, 2022. A complete application consists of a letter addressing how the applicant fulfills each of the required and preferred qualifications cited above as well as how the applicants’ past experiences and/or future career plans align with Georgia Southern University’s Strategic Plan (https://president.georgiasouthern.edu/performance-excellence/strategic-plan/
), and the College of Science and Mathematics Strategic Plan (https://cosm.georgiasouthern.edu/about/college-overview/
); a curriculum vitae; and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of at least three (3) professional references. Other documentation may be requested. Only complete applications submitted electronically will be considered. Finalists will be required to submit to a background investigation. Applications and nominations should be sent to:
Dr. Kelly Vance, Search Chair, Search #67893
Department of Geology & Geography
Georgia Southern University
P. O. Box 8149
Statesboro GA 30460-8149
Electronic mail: email@example.com
More information about the institution is available through http://www.georgiasouthern.edu
. The names of applicants and nominees, vitae, and other non-evaluative information may be subject to public inspection under the Georgia Open Records Act. Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources at 912-478-6947.
Location: Statesboro, GA
Start Date: August 1 2022
Job Type: Other
You Must Have:
Name: Dr. Kelly Vance, Search Chair