22-59 TENURE TRACK ASSISTANT PROFESSOR-ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE, WEST CHESTER UNIVERSITY
Join a vibrant campus community whose excellence is reflected in its diversity and student success. West Chester University of Pennsylvania’s Department of Earth and Space Sciences invites applicants for a Tenure-Track Assistant Professor position in Environmental Geoscience to begin in August 2022.
West Chester University, a member of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education, is a public, comprehensive institution committed to offering high-quality undergraduate education, selected post-baccalaureate and graduate programs, and a variety of educational and cultural resources for its students, alumni, and citizens of southeastern Pennsylvania. The University offers more than 100 graduate and undergraduate programs in the sciences and mathematics, business and public management, arts and humanities, health sciences, education and social work, music, and interdisciplinary studies. We are a community of educators dedicated to developing graduates who succeed personally and professionally and contribute to the common good.
The College of the Sciences and Mathematics offers modern curricula that foster a broad understanding of our world and an ability to reason and solve problems using the methods of the social, natural, computational, and mathematical sciences. The Department of Earth and Space Sciences was ranked #25 in the nation, #3 in the Middle Atlantic Region, and #3 in Pennsylvania on College Factual 2021’s list of Best Colleges for Geological and Earth Sciences.
- Teaching Environmental Geochemistry, a core course in our undergraduate program, and other courses in the applicant’s area of specialty
- Teaching general education, undergraduate, and graduate courses within and beyond the geoscience curriculum such as Humans and the Environment (an interdisciplinary environmental science course), The Carbon Cycle (a science content course for early- and middle-grades education majors), and/or other courses in environmental science and sustainability
- Advising current and prospective students and assisting graduating seniors and master’s students to earn employment, internships, and/or entrance into graduate programs
- Interacting with students outside the classroom to encourage and assist them in achieving their educational and professional goals
- Serving as a liaison between students, the scientific community, and the thriving environmental industry in Pennsylvania and the Mid-Atlantic Region
- Developing a vigorous and sustained research program that involves graduate and undergraduate students, enhances our students’ ability to compete and succeed in the workplace, and has the potential to attract extramural funding
- Supporting existing faculty in expanding our undergraduate and graduate environmental geoscience programs and facilitate cross-disciplinary connections
- Serving the University and the community through participation in various committees
The typical course load involves teaching twelve credit hours per semester.
- A Ph.D. in geology or a closely related discipline or ABD completion by date of appointment
- Demonstrated ability to effectively teach courses in environmental geoscience, environmental geochemistry, and general education courses
- A proven record of research and/or professional experience in environmental geoscience
- Experience teaching at the college level
- Demonstrated ability to work with faculty to expand our undergraduate and graduate environmental geoscience programs
- Demonstrated ability to foster cross-disciplinary connections in the fields of sustainability and environmental science
- Demonstrated ability to develop and support a vigorous and sustained research program
Apply by the online application at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/wcupa/jobs/3255960/22-59-tenure-track-assistant-professor-in-environmental-geoscience
Electronic application allows letter of interest, curriculum vitae, unofficial copies of transcripts and a Diversity Statement (all required). Three letters of recommendation must also be uploaded by references to the website above.
As part of your application for a tenure-track faculty position, we have requested a Diversity Statement. This request highlights our department's commitment to promote diversity and inclusiveness and to cultivate a campus environment that welcomes all. This commitment reflects the Diversity Theme of West Chester University's new Strategic Plan and supports initiatives of our Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (WCU Diversity Equity Inclusion). We expect that each applicant's statement will be unique, as informed by their own experiences and goals. Some issues you might address in a 1 to 2 page statement include the following: (1) How have you supported diversity and inclusion in your interactions with others in classroom and research environments? (2) What have you done to help students from diverse communities (such as underrepresented minorities, non-traditional, LGBTQ, veteran, rural, and/or first generation) succeed, including any programs for these students that you have participated in? (3) Describe your commitment to working toward achieving equity and enhancing diversity at WCU. In particular, how might you contribute to our current diversity initiatives, and do you have any other ideas to help promote equity on our campus?
Review of applicants will begin December 6, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.
Applicants must successfully complete the interview process to be considered as a finalist. Finalists must demonstrate effective teaching and communication skills through an on-campus interview, teaching demonstration, and research seminar. Finalists must also provide official transcripts.
Developing and sustaining a diverse faculty and staff advances West Chester University’s educational mission and strategic Plan for Excellence. West Chester University is an Affirmative Action – Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
All offers of employment are subject to and contingent upon satisfactory completion of all pre-employment criminal background checks.
Location: West Chester, PA
Start Date: August 2022
Job Type: Other
You Must Have: