VISITING INSTRUCTOR OF GEOLOGY-SEARCH #12139, GEORGIA SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY
The Department of Geology and Geography in the College of Science and Mathematics at Georgia Southern University has an opening for a non-tenure track visiting instructor of Geology for the Spring 2022 semester.
Founded in 1906, Georgia Southern University is a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution with a focus on public-impact research, serving about 27,000 students on three beautiful campuses in Statesboro, Savannah, and Hinesville, and via a growing online program. Through our degree offerings at the associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels, Georgia Southern offers a distinctive combination of community collaboration, world-class scholarship, innovative teaching, and hands-on learning opportunities.
To equitably serve a fast growing and highly diverse student body and to fulfill the University’s commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion, we actively seek candidates with a demonstrated commitment to Inclusive Excellence. Candidates whose work furthers the institution’s goals and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
Within this setting, the Department of Geology & Geography is actively engaged in undergraduate education, service, and regional, national, and international research. To this end the individual hired to fill the advertised position will be expected to teach undergraduates and contribute to the teaching mission of the Department. The Department currently offers baccalaureate degrees in Geology and in Geography, in addition to a Master of Science degree in Applied Geography.
Position Description: Reporting to the department chair, the visiting instructor of Geology will teach Field Methods and a combination of Physical Geology labs or lectures and Environmental Geology labs or lectures. All classes will be taught face-to-face. At Georgia Southern, visiting faculty normally teach fifteen credit hours per semester, hold regular office hours, and actively participate in departmental meetings. Collegiality is essential. All visiting positions are non-tenure track appointments. This appointment is for the spring 2022 semester only, although there is the possibility of reappointment should funding permit and based upon satisfactory performance. Visiting instructor positions may not exceed two full years, without exception. The salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Earned master’s degree (or higher) in Geology, or a closely related field with at least 18 graduate semester hours in Geology, by December 31, 2021
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to engage with institutional student success initiatives.
- Commitment to engaging with best practice initiatives in instruction and pedagogy, mentoring, and curriculum design and development.
Conditions of Employment:
- Experience teaching field methods, field camp, or field-based courses or a demonstrated record of field work
- Background in Structural Geology
- Experience preparing and teaching Physical and/or Environmental Geology laboratory sections
- Must be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the institution.
- All work (with limited exceptions such as research and study abroad and outside activities such as grading and email correspondence) for Georgia Southern University must be completed while the employee is physically present in the state of Georgia, unless specifically authorized by the university for a specific purpose and limited period of time within current policy.
- Faculty are expected to contribute to the vibrant university community by engaging students, participating in events, and performing other responsibilities on-campus
- Faculty may be required to teach, conduct research, or perform service duties on any of the three campuses. Georgia Southern provides accessible transportation options between campuses.
Screening of applications begins December 3, 2021 and continues until the position is filled.The preferred position starting date is January 1, 2021. A complete application consists of a letter addressing the qualifications cited above; a and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of at least three professional references. Other documentation may be requested. Only complete applications submitted electronically will be considered. Finalists will be required to submit to a background investigation. Applications and nominations should be sent to:
Dr. Jacque Kelly, Search Chair, Search 12139
Georgia Southern University
Electronic mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
More information about the institution is available through http://www.georgiasouthern.edu
. The names of applicants and nominees, vitae, and other non-evaluative information may be subject to public inspection under the Georgia Open Records Act. Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources at 912-478-6947.
Location: Statesboro, GA
Start Date: Spring 2022
Job Type: Other
You Must Have:
Name: Dr. Jacque Kelly, Search Chair