AWG Distinguished Lecturer Program
The Association for Women Geoscientists Distinguished Lecturer Program provides well-known female speakers to give talks or lectures in most disciplines of the geosciences on their areas of interest. Departments and organizations can receive up to $800 per year toward speaker expenses. While most speakers do not require fees, it is expected that the host will provide for travel, food, and lodging costs.
To nominate a speaker or self nominate please send a CV to Laura Fakhrai. See the current speaker list below.
Speakers List (FY 2015-16) - Updated Jan 2016
HOW TO APPLY FOR FUNDING FROM THE AWG DISTINGUISHED LECTURER PROGRAM
All academic institutions, including University and College departments or Science clubs/organizations, as well as State Geological Surveys, etc. are invited to apply for funding to host a speaker from the AWG Speakers List. If in doubt, please ask Laura Fakhrai, the AWG Distinguished Lecturer Program Coordinator.
- Organizations may ask for up to $800 to fund the speaker's visit and should provide details of the expected costs. Only one award will be given to any organization in one year. There is no problem if two different organizations ask for the same speaker.
- Funding covers the expenses of hosting an AWG speaker at the institution. Funds are not to benefit the individual; thus, an honorarium is not included in expenses. Regular and normal travel expenses (airfare, other transportation, meals, and lodging) are applicable costs that can be funded. It is also helpful if the sponsoring institution is able to provide funding for some of the costs so that the requested amount is in line with the maximum allowable grant amount.
- Funding decisions are the prerogative the Distinguished Lecturer Program Coordinator.
- Funding is provided on a first come, first served basis.
Please follow the following procedure to apply for a grant:
- Contact a speaker from the list.
- Settle on a tentative date for the talk, and determine the transportation, lodging, and incidental costs of the visit.
- Write a letter or email to the Distinguished Lecturer Program Coordinator including all of the pertinent information, and stress your intention to expose your students to women geoscientists.
- Plan for sufficient time for processing the request (several weeks) so that a talk will not be scheduled in advance of AWG being able to approve reimbursement to your department.
Details: Please include all of the following information with your request:
- The sponsoring department where the talk will be given
- Date of the talk
- Speaker's name - must be from the AWG list
- Title of talk
- Speaker's address
- Amount requested with itemized cost breakdown
After the talk, please provide us with a report of the event, give the following documentation and information, to insure prompt reimbursements:
- Number of persons attending
- Describe audience (e.g. students, faculty, researchers, etc.)
- Submit all applicable receipts
- Provide copies of flyers or other seminar advertising
- Brief description of quality of seminar and any other interactions between the speaker and the audience
AWG gives a special thank you to Chevron for their continued support of this program.